Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing #23

As Charles Dickens stated, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom..." That pretty much sums up my experience with completing 23 Things. At times I wanted to give up, but I saw this as a challenge. It took me endless hours to complete, but when I was successful at a task, I felt empowered. My eyes have been opened to a new world. Isn't that the goal of learning? Isn't that what we want for our students? I know I will go back to my blogs and add more comments to them.

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

I enjoyed de.licio.us. because it allowed me find out out more about social bookmarking. It will allow me to use organize my bookmarks which is a huge time saver.
Also, I enjoyed making my own blog. It was fun doing the process, and it gave me a voice on the web which allows people worldwide to read and respond to what I have written. I even had a fellow blogger from the UK respond to one of my blogs!
Watching Teacher Tube will be a helpful resource throughout the school year. Teacher Tube is a great information resource to see other teachers' perspectives on various topics.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

Doing 23 Things helped me become up-to-date on what is available on the web. I feel I have only touched the surface. I am ready, confident,but a little nervous to venture deeper.

3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

Throughout this summer adventure, I soon realized that I had no clue how much I didn't know about the web. I didn't know how much I didn't know! My first experience with computers happened when I was already teaching in the 1980's. There was this "box" (probably the size of a small car) that made life easier, and it was delivered into every classroom.To say that "it has come a long way, baby" is an understatement!

4.What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

Since I was "green" in my computer skills when I took on this project, I found some directions somewhat vague. I had to "Google it" in order for me to understand certain procedures. I wish I could give specifics, but they escape me now.

5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?
Yes, I am up to the challenge!


6.How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities?

I mentioned it in the beginning of this blog, but it needs repeating......

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom."

4 comments:

bookeatersclub said...

Congratulations on completing your 23 "Things" journey! It was great to read that you found so many techniques that you will try in the classroom.

Keep blogging and enjoy the rest of your summer!

VWB said...

i add my congrats as well...hope you will continue "learning" and share your results with us!

mja said...

Thanks for the opportunity.
Gee, I don't know how to spend my hours without working on 23 Things!

I'll have to go into the world of blogging!

Hebrews 13:2 said...

Congratulations!...You are where I want to be...I'm still in the worst of times...The "23 Things" is one big learning curve...I hope I make it to the finish line by the due date of August 5th...You really did a great job...62 would be proud of you. :)