Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing #14

I found Technorati to be very overwhelming to me. Its home page has so many "things"crammed onto one page. I became distrasted by the various advertisments. It will take me hours to get a handle on it. I went to Technorati and typed in the keyword "school library learning 2.0." Then I found a blog site called Boing Boing. There is an endless supply of blogs available if I had the time to look at them all.
The tags lead me into other directions.After reading a blog, one tag was entitled "interesting." I clicked on that link, and I saw other topics that didn't pertain to my original search.
Later, I ended up on TechCrunch because it has over 2700 fans. I wanted to read what all those people thought were interesting.
I still have the same opinion about Technorati. It is still overwhelming to me. It is like a spider web which branches out in all directions with some overlapping each other. I can't help but think about my college days. I remember going to the university library to write a research paper which included perusing the wooden card catalogue, searching the shelves for the needed books and hoping they were not checked out already.I would also use the microfilm machine for more information.Hours and hours later with all my needed information on note cards, I was ready to type my paper on the typewriter!
Fast forward to 2008...what an endless supply of knowledge is just at my fingertips! How exciting!

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

Yes, back in the day...

We have certainly evolved from the research process from yesteryear!