Friday, June 20, 2008

Thing #15

I enjoyed the video. As the video panned around a typical college classroom, I had the impression that this setting for learning is becoming so "old school." It seems as if most of the learning occurs in college when a student plugs in his/her computer. Or should I say, when the student takes his/her wireless computer to Starbucks. My eyes were further opened when one of the college students made reference that she will read only eight books this year, but she will read over 2300 webpages! That is how far the web has come in a relatively short time.Reading web pages has replaced searching through books. Also on the video,I found it comical when the professor was writing on the chalkboard, and up popped this statement: "Writing on the chalkboard forces the teacher to move."Did anyone else find the humor in that?
I read most of the perspectives on Library 2.0. One interesting remark came from the article on "iceburgs." In it, there was mention of the current environment ( libraries) had to find ways to bring services to patrons rather than insisting that they come to us (librarianship). I don't know about you, but I used to love and still love visiting the library. There is something about about searching for a particular book, locating it on the shelf, and putting my hands around it. I could see how worn it had become from so many other people's hands turning the pages. Call me "old school."

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

Hopefully the things that make our libraries so memorable will not be forgotten, while we (librarians) learn to incorporate all the new with the traditional. Beyond a doubt, there is something to be said for curling up with a good book or visiting our own favorite library.